First reactions and observations
- Substitutions have made a huge difference for Germany, especially the addition of Jonas Hofmann for Benjamin Henrichs. Hofmann may have secured his place in the starting XI today, he turned the tables after his arrival.
- Leroy Sane and Serge Gnabry remain frustrating pieces of the puzzle. It looks like Hansi Flick inherited the problems Bayern faced last season, and he doesn’t seem close to solving them.
- Thilo Kehrer really shouldn’t play against England next week. He’s just not good enough for the left-back position. Hansi Flick needs to stop being so inexplicably loyal to the guy and start allowing David Raum more chances.
Full time: Italy 1-1 Germany.
72′ — GOAL! Kimmich makes it 1-1 immediately!
70′ — Goal! Pellegrini scores! Germany set to lose their first game under Hansi.
58′ — Substitutes: Musiala and Hofmann for Sane and Henrichs.
45′ — The second half is on!
Half-time observations and analysis
- Miserable viewing for Bayern Munich fans. Serge Gnabry and Leroy Sane in particular were awful.
- Germany pressed the ball well. However, the passing was errant and the chances weren’t taken. Flick will want to make some adjustments at halftime.
- This rear configuration does not work. Kehrer and Henrichs are unable to advance the ball and are repeatedly caught by Italy on the flanks. Replacing them would be the best choice for Germany.
45′ — Half time, still 0-0.
34′ — Scamacca hits the post! Italy and Germany have been level so far, but it could have tipped the balance had he entered.
To start up: We are on our way to Bologna!
One hour before kick-off: We have queues! Looks like Flick went with Thomas Muller and Timo Werner up front, with Serge Gnabry and Leroy Sane on the wings. Benjamin Henrichs starts as a right-back.
The UEFA Nations League is an excellent concept. Instead of sullying the summer with a bunch of meaningless friendlies in a World Cup year, Germany can now take on some of the best teams in the world and Italy.
Although the Azzurri may have failed to qualify for Qatar 2022, they are still the defending Euro champions, making them a solid opponent to test his team’s preparation so far. A heap of Bayern Munich regulars will be available for this game, such as Thomas Muller, Joshua Kimmich, Leon Goretzka, Manuel Neuer, etc. They will be joined by Chelsea’s German contingent, along with a handful of other players from various clubs across Europe. With Bayern forming the backbone of this German team, it will be fascinating to see how they fare under Flick against a real opponent.
Location: Stadio Renato Dall’Ara, Bologna, Italy
Time: 8:45 p.m. local time, 2:45 p.m. EST
TV/Broadcast: Find your country
Tips for commenting:
- If you are a new member, feel free to introduce yourself! Were
mostvery friendly! Also, we come from all parts of the world, so don’t feel shy if you’re from a country that doesn’t seem represented on the blog.
- If the comment section starts slowing down for you, just hit the refresh button and keep commenting. There’s no need to have all the comments uploaded at once while you’re just casually following along.
- Keep sorting to “newest” to easily follow the conversation. It puts the most recent comments at the top.
- At BFW, we celebrate every goal like they do in the stadium: with a song. Goal chants are accessible to everyone! Even if you are behind the others, keep answering the most recent call of the player’s name. Even if you missed the first call, just start with the second, and so on.
- While swearing is allowed within reason, be polite to your fellow posters and avoid gratuitous obscenities. Racist, homophobic and misogynistic language is absolutely not allowed.
Discover our yarn for beginners if you have other questions. It is more or less that. Auf geht’s!
Looking for an endless well of Bayern Munich content? Open an SBNation account and join the conversation on Bavarian Football Works. Whether it’s full match coverage and analysis, breaking news, podcasts or something completely different, we’ve got it all.
#Italy #Germany #reactions #observations