Whether you’re sharing vacation photos or letting your little ones watch fun videos, the last thing you want is someone stumbling across sensitive media files on your device. It’s important to protect your private photos and videos, so that no unsuspecting eye can accidentally discover them. It is quite easy to hide your media files using a few simple tricks. Of course, each method depends on your camera app and whether you’re using an Android device or something from Apple. Here’s how to protect your private media on your phone or tablet.
How to Hide Photos on Your Android Phone
Google Photos is the default gallery app that comes on all Android phones. The app has a handy locked folder add-on to hide photos and videos, and it’s simple to do. Here’s how.
- Open Google Photos on your phone.
- Select the Library bottom tab.
- Press on Utilities menu.
- Find it Configure locked folder suggestion in the following menu.
- Faucet Beginand you can use your phone’s authentication method (PIN, password or fingerprint) to access the locked folder.
Now that you’ve set up the locked folder, it’s time to add media files.
How to Hide Photos in Locked Folder
There are two ways to add photos and videos to the locked folder. You can add them from the media library or via a single photo. For the first method:
- Launch Google Photos and go to Pictures tongue.
- Long press an image and multi-select media files you want to hide.
- Tap the three dot menu at the top.
- Select Move to locked folder and confirm your decision in the following context menu.
That’s all we can say about it. If you add only one photo or video, you can just click on the media file, swipe up to check more details and select the Move to locked folder ability to hide it.
How to Hide Photos in Locked Folder for Pixel Users
Users with a Pixel 3 or later can save captured images directly to your locked folder from the default Camera app.
- Open the Default Camera app on your Pixel phone.
- Tap the photo gallery icon at the top.
- Select Folder locked from save to menu.
From now on, any photo or video you capture using your Pixel phone will go directly to the locked Google Photos folder.
How to Access Hidden Media in Locked Folder
Now that they’re locked away, you might want to know where to find them. You can access your hidden media files in the Google Photos Utilities menu.
- Open the Utilities menu in Google Photos.
- To find Folder locked under the Organize your library menu.
- Open it, authenticate your identity with a fingerprint or PIN codeand check your hidden files.
Google’s locked folder implementation carries some notable downsides. Before jamming the locked folder with hundreds of media files, you should keep them in mind.
- Locked Folder is an offline add-on. Google won’t sync hidden files to your Google Photos library, and you won’t be able to access them from the web or another phone.
- Since the hidden photos are stored on the device only, you don’t get any Google Photos editing or sharing features.
- If you uninstall Google Photos or reset the device, you lose all data in the locked folder.
How to Hide Photos on Your Samsung Galaxy Phone
Powered by Samsung Knox, Secure Folder in One UI (Samsung Android Skin) takes care of securing your private photos and videos.
- Swipe down from the top and open the notification center.
- Swipe down again and develop fast flips menu.
- Activate it Secure Folder Toggle and find it in the app drawer menu.
- If you don’t see Secure Folder in the quick toggle menu, tap the three dot menu at the top.
- Select the Edit Buttonsand drag the Secure Folder icon (from the suggestions) to the quick toggle menu.
How to configure Secure Folder
- Swipe up from the home screen and open the app drawer menu.
- To find Secure Folder (which looks like a lock icon) and open it.
- Install it with a 4-digit PIN.
- Close the Secure Folder and open the Gallery app on your Samsung phone.
That’s it. You can now start adding media to your Secure Folder.
How to Hide Photos in Secure Folder
- Find the Gallery app on your phone’s home screen or in the app drawer menu (represented by a flower icon).
- Select multiple images and press After basically.
- Select Move to Secure Folder, and your photos will disappear from Gallery app.
When you want to access one of your hidden media, you can open the Secure Folder from the app drawer menu, authenticate with a PIN (the one you created during setup) and select it. Gallery app.
How to Hide Photos on iPhone
The default Photos app on iPhone and iPad allows users to protect sensitive media files in a hidden album.
- Open the Photos app on your iPhone.
- Press the Select button at the top and select the photos and videos you want to hide.
- Tap the share icon in the lower left corner and select To hide.
That’s really all there is to it. It’s also just as easy to find your hidden media.
How to Access Hidden Media on Your iPhone
To check the hidden album, you must first enable it from Photos settings.
- Open Settings using the gear icon on your iPhone.
- Scroll to Pictures.
- Enable hidden album to toggle.
- Open the Photos app and go to the Albums menu.
- Scroll to Utilities menu and open hidden album to check sensitive media files.
Keep prying eyes away from private photos
Although Google Play Store and App Store are full of third-party apps to hide photos, we suggest you stick to the default method. It is a bit risky to trust any random app with your private media. If you prefer Google’s Secure Folder, you can also use it to securely hide documents as well as pictures and videos. If you are running out of space, you can always consider moving your photos to Synology NAS. Although it’s not a complete Google Photos substitute, it can help you if you already have a Synology NAS server.
#hide #photos #phone #tablet